News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Great commentary on drunk driving and city resolution.

This came from almost on the range blog,http://almostontherange.blogspot.com.

I agree for the most part, however I am one that thinks this mayor needs to go. I am in favor of a recall or for our mayor to resign.





Is it just me or do the rest of you feel like the city needs to do something official to show it's disapproval of Mayor Bergson's drunk driving incident? I don't advocate a recall effort. I believe that such an action would be detrimental to the city, and would face a very real possibility of failing.I believe that Duluthians should expect it's city council to censor the mayor. I didn't write anything about it because I was sure at least one city councilor would put forward a resolution condemning Herb's actions, but nothing has come forward so I'll make my case for it here.This issue has been featured in the media all across Minnesota and Wisconsin, and mentioned in the USA Today. It has all been bad publicity for our part of the state (people in the Twin Cities already think everyone who lives up here is a drunk), and I feel the city should do something to officially show it's disapproval. A City Council resolution is exactly what's called for. I hope it gets introduced at the next council meeting and is unanimously approved.The actual resolution/censure would obviously be longer, but I'd like it to include the following language:Be it resolved that the City of Duluth recognizes that alcohol is a drug, and it is a criminal action for anyone to operate a vehicle while intoxicated. This council understands that anyone choosing to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated creates a real threat to the safety of both themselves and to others. Be it further resolved that because Mayor Herb Bergson drank enough alcohol to become extremely intoxicated and made the choice to drive his vehicle thereby creating a real danger to the public safety this council censors him with the strongest possible language

No comments: