News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

State smoking ban.

Note I started this post yesterday that is why it say's today and not yesterday.

Today marks a black day for Minnesota business’s because of the State smoking ban. As you may or may not know today marks the first day of the State wide smoking ban. If you have read this blog in the past you know I am against smoking bans. I have never favored one, nor do I expect to ever do so.

One reason some groups liked this is because it said it made if fair for all of Minnesota. What they seem to forget is it does not make if fair to those city’s (such as Duluth) that are next to a different State. It is unrealistic to believe that smokers and non-smokers will not go to these other States. As a non smoker I believe people have a choice. I will support those cities and States that still leave it up to the people. This means I will go to Superior more then likely to eat or drink.

This is about protecting business and peoples rights.

3 comments:

Barrett said...

How are you supporting businesses if you're going to punish Duluth businesses for something beyond their control? If you're against the ban for the reasons you say, shouldn't you patronize the businesses that are going to be harmed by the ban?

Minnesota bars and restaurants didn't create the smoking ban. In fact, most of them fought against it. To stubbornly take your patronage and money away from the very people you claim to want to protect seems backward.

I say that as Minnesotans, we need to support our local businesses now more than ever.

Unknown said...

Barrett:

You point is a good and one that I have thought of as well. I am not saying that I will not go to Duluth bars and restaurants.

I will however go to Superior now more then normal. It is not a protest against our bars and restaurants that I know fought against the ban. It is against the smoking ban.

My hope is that people will wake up and realize that when business is hurt do to legislation it is not a good thing.

Kelly Boed said...

I still stand by my initial argument in this ban, that there are many many more non-smokers than there are smokers. So it only stands to reason that those businesses who are proactive and welcome our business will see us more than they ever did when they had smoking. I was driven from lots of places because of the smoke, now I don't have to put up with the stink. I'm sorry but those who argue that they have had a "right" taken away just don't cut it with me. Since when is it someone's "right" to stink up a public business? It's rude, stinky, unhealthy, addictive, and dirty. The legislation was necessary because most smokers are rude and inconsiderate with their habit. I have many many times asked people if they would please move their ashtray, or please hold their cigarette in front of THEIR face and not mine, and you know what? Almost every time they were rude to me, more times than I can mention they actually blew smoke in my face. Each and every time smokers have been rude, or even burned me because they were gesturing or walking with their lit cigarette only made me want to fight harder for this ban. Smokers made this legislation necessary because their habit affects the health and enjoyment of other people in public places and they cannot be told to stop without a law. The majority of people are fed up and fought for a law as trying to reason with addicts is fruitless. They will simply blow smoke in your face or tell you to go somewhere else. Well...I'll tell you, I'm so happy that after 33 years of fighting for this we finally prevailed. Yah...some businesses might fold, but California is still going strong, all big cities have had bans for years. Believe me, Minnesota will survive without the haze.