News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

By the numbers.

Yesterday I went to the rally against the Governors cuts. It was held by Twin Ports Action Coalition. The rally started at noon. It was put together well I thought.

There was one thing that shocked me a bit however. Being that this was a rally against the Governor and his cuts I expected a lot of people. There was only about 20-25 people now remember this was on a Monday and a lot of people are working. I was thinking there would have been about 50 people but again there was only about half of that.

The other thing that was a shock was the lack of local Government officials. Here again I thought they would come out of the wood work for this. There was no Mayor Ness who will take shots at Pawlenty any chance he gets. There was no current city councilors I expected that some one would be there representing the city but nope.

Who was there of note? County board member Steve O’Neil who represents the 2nd district on the board. State Representative Roger Reinert who represents 7B. Both Reinert and ONeil made comments at the press conference. Also there was 2nd council candidate Patrick Boyle.

Another thing that was interesting was the lack of news media. T.V. there was only one channel there. That was WDIO channel 10. The other two stations were not there the 3 and 6 Northlands news center was not there nor was fox 21. NNC who has the most people working and should be at events like this never show. They along with Fox 21 don’t really care about the news that happens right here in town. I was a bit surprised that there was no one there from the Duluth News Tribune. The only two other media outlets there was the HIllsider paper and blogger Duluth Politics. ( Hey I think I know who runs that site.) I wish the media would take a more active roll in our community. I know I am going to try to attend more events like this. Again if you have a press conference or news worthy event please remember to send it to me at duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Any way I thought this was interesting more on the conference coming soon.

No comments: