News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Monday, March 08, 2010

Bentlyville, should be ran by who?

So it begins, just one year after Bentleyville moves to Duluth the city is trying to take over the event. I said all along that Nathan Bentley, who runs the festival of lights should not move the operation to Duluth. My main reason is when the city sees something good, they try to take over and then it gets run down. Well that has not happened yet. It is starting just a year after the first season at Bayfront was completed. The city will consider a three year contract with Nathan Bentley to run Bentleyville at Bayfront at Monday's City Council meeting. In the contract are three new things, combined they indicates the start of the city taking over the event. It will be a work in progress by the City Of Duluth and City Council to take over the event. The three new items are: different start and end dates, new hours of operation, and a background check on persons portraying Santa Claus. If the three year contract is approved by the council, the festival of lights will run November 20th to December 26th, the times of operation will be 5pm - 9pm instead of 10pm. Let me first dive in to the date changes. I like the earlier start date, in fact I think it should open the same weekend as the Christmas City Of The North Parade. The event is being held in Duluth, creating a cool tie-in to the whole parade. The issue I have is the end date. Well, the festival with the new dates still runs as many weeks, but it takes some fun out of it. I've always enjoyed going to Bentleyville after Christmas. It was a neat way to start off the new year, by walking through the lights and taking time to remember the season, and to look ahead, it is a great place to ponder things. There are typically less people there once Christmas has passed, another reason to go then. You can really take time to enjoy the lights. There is no rush, no one pushing, just a nice atmosphere to spend time in. I think it is foolish to end it the day after Christmas, you are taking part of the joy and real moments families have away, by not operating it into the new year. The change of hours may not seem like a big thing to most, however to me it is just more evidence that the city wants to take this event away from Nathan Bentley. Note that the 9pm close is conveniently when most city parks close in Duluth. Gee residents, I don't think so. An hour also may not seem like a lot of time, however it is in this case. Any one who has ever gone to Bentleyville understands that there will be a lot of people there. They want to see Santa and having it close an hour earlier is going to allow for less people per night to accomplish this. I am not sure but I would guess that they will not allow new people in to see Santa after 8pm under the new contract. The gates to Santa this last season closed at 9pm. This was done because of large crowds. The last thing is a back ground check on Santa, while I agree in theory with this, I don't like it in this case. The same gentlemen has played Santa for the last 10 years and there has never been a problem. Councilor Fedora said it is not necessarily because of the current Santa but someone else may portray him at some point. That may be true, but I don't see it happening in three years. Tom Marciniak, who plays Santa has no problem with it. He said they will find nothing on his record. I think it is just another step of the city attempting to take the event away from Nathan Bentley.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

My name is Nathan Bentley from Bentleyville Tour of Lights, being blunt, you don't have a clue what you are writing about. The contract between Bentleyville and the City of Duluth is discussed in great length and agreed upon every item before it even goes to the City Council. It is I Nathan Bentley, that decided to change the dates and times of the event after evaluating last years event with my staff, not the City of Duluth. If some is looking to have less crowds they simply need to visit Bentleyville Sunday - Thursday. Secondly, Santa leaves at 9:00 pm no matter what time we close, and we shut down the line each night long before 9pm to allow Santa to leave at 9pm. For what ever reason the the City of Duluth continues to be an easy target for people to pounce on again and again with people having no clue what they are talking about which in turn creates rumors and incorrect information. I welcome any background check on any person involved with Bentleyville should it be requested. I ran a very high profile event and want the public to have complete confidence that anyone their children have contact with does not have a history of being in trouble with authorities. I have NEVER felt or believed there has ever been an attempt or hidden agenda for anyone within the City of Duluth to take the event away from me. This type of thinking is simply non-sense to get people worked up amount nothing. The City of Duluth to date as been very good to work with using Bayfront Festival park to host Bentleyville Tour of Lights. Thank you, Nathan Bentley.

Unknown said...

Nathan,

First thank you very much for your comments. If my thoughts are wrong then that is fine.

As far as your comment about visiting Sunday-thursday I have done that and still the number is people there has been large, now this is a great thing. My point about the change of dates still is that I personaly along with many others enjoy going after the holday.


We will have to disagree on the city working on taking over the event, I still believe they are. They have donet it far to many times with other events.

I do with you luck with the event and I will contunie to go to it. It is a great event.

Anonymous said...

John,

Would you please explain further specifically what event(s) the City of Duluth "took over", good or bad?

Thanks again for your time,

Nathan Bentley

Unknown said...

Nathan,

I could supply a large list of them. That said I won't. My intend is not to make any one mad, again however I think the city invovlement in this needs to watched.

Here is why I am not going to give a list as of right now, I am not saying it is any one in the city now. The events I have in mind have been taken over by the city many many years ago but because the city took them over many of them are not as popular as I think they could be.

The city should not be in the business of running events. Sponcership sure but they should not run them.

I think my concerns are legigement. Everyone may not see it, that is fine.

I would love to sit down and chat with you some time.

Unknown said...

I want to be clear to be here that I am not saying any one on the council or the Mayor to date have taken over any event. That is another reason why I won't put a list here.