News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Dont' allow city spending to get our of control.

Here is a great letter to the editor about the DECC's expansion. I agree totaly with the writer.




Limit city's spending; vote no on DECC tax
Let me see if I have this straight: The city of Duluth is on the brink of bankruptcy with unfunded obligations of $295 million for the employee retirement health-care fiasco, yet the citizens of Duluth are being asked to borrow even more to expand the DECC?
I'm sure a new arena at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center would be a positive addition to the city ("Pawlenty denies DECC expansion bond," Jan. 18).
I would support it, but the situation is analogous to this: Suppose I was personally on the brink of bankruptcy, yet I sought a second mortgage to make a substantial addition to my house. What bank would lend me the money? And, what kind of fool would I be to borrow even more money when I was about to go bankrupt in the first place?
In February, we are being asked to vote for an increase in the sales tax on food and beverages to fund the DECC expansion. Yet our city leaders seem oblivious to the fact that the city is on the brink of bankruptcy.
Though I would like to see this expansion of the DECC, fiscal prudence dictates not borrowing more money when we are already in a financial crisis. Maybe we should be marshaling our limited resources to put our financial house in order instead of continuing to borrow even more money and strap ourselves even further to pay for more spending.
When one is going bankrupt, he ought not further load up the credit card. Or, maybe that is why we are on the brink of bankruptcy in the first place.
I, therefore, will vote no on the food and beverage sales tax increase. I encourage other prudent citizens to do the same.
DAVID H. SORENSON
DULUTH


Source: Duluth news tribune,http://duluthnews.com

No comments: