News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Michellina's closes it plant in Duluth

The plant will close March 6th. They employed 61 people and if they choice they will be given a chance to work at a lakeville plant.


As I read the story today in the paper I thought boy there goes more jobs and a plant that has been in Duluth for many years. I believe it was the only plant business left in Duluth. The other thing that gaught my eye in the story was the condition of the building.

My problem with it is this. Okay the building was old but is it not the businesses responsibility to keep it up as best they can? How long has the building been in this shape, did the owners allow it to get this way?

These are just a few things I was wondering about, anyone have a response?

Again I am sad for both the employer and employees. The owner has done so much for our community and will continue too. The employees will either have to look for new jobs or move to the lakeville plant and that is bad for Duluth.


I also found it interesting in the story that there will be new owners I did not know they were up for sale. Did that surprise anyone else or am I just out of loop on this one?

1 comment:

A guy from West Duluth said...

DnH,
Gino has been in the process of selling Michaelinas for quite awhile now. I think you missed the story when it broke (last summer I think).

I don't blame the Paluccis for letting the building deteriorate. I would guess this was part of their long term planning for quite awhile. Use the building until it becomes unusable and then get that manufacturing line out of Duluth.

I lived very near Lakeville for a little bit over a year and I can state that the city bends over backwards to work with employers. The union atmosphere also would not tolerate a union leader who felt he had veto power over the closure of the plant. If you have to spend money to upgrade a building, or expand somewhere else anyway why would you spend it here?
I love Duluth, but am beginning to regret buying property in the city limits upon my return.