News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Friday, February 03, 2006

Commissioner O'Neil on smoke free county.

We got a reply now from commissioner O'Neil on his why he is for a smoke free county.



A couple weeks ago Dan Hass suggested that I received money from MPAAT and the American Lung Association. My campaign received no money from either group. Feel free to check with St. Louis Co. Auditor office where all campaign donations are filed. I have not received money from either since I've been elected. I am working on a smoke free St. Louis County ordinance because one of a commissioners responsibilities is to promote the health of the our citizens. Like many people I wish the state and federal government would pass strong, uniform laws requiring all indoor public places and worksites be smoke free. This does not seem likely in the near future. For example, Congressman John Boehner, Ohio Republican just elected to be the House majority leader is very close to the big tobacco companies. According to many news sources including today's Duluth News Tribune, Mr Boehner passed out checks from the tobacco industry political action committees to House members on the House floor in 1995. Sadly Big Tobacco has a stranglehold on our Congress and Minnesota legislature.


Steve O'NeilDistrict 2St. Louis County Commissioner

What are your thoughts.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

**** This is not the view of the whole blog. This is my view and my comments******


Mr. O'Neil, What happens should this pass and we lose one, two, three or more business? What happens when small business will not beable to keep there doors open or have to lay off workers?


I would also like to know were is this at? How far our close are you to bring a resolution forward to the board?

How likly is it that this be an issue in the upcoming election?


John

Dulusion said...

I fully support the efforts of Mr. O'neil. I don't think there would be a bunch of businesses shutting down, actually there would be more business for those places who currently allow smoking and thereby offend the majority (non-smokers.)

Unknown said...

That is not true I don't know one person that does not go to a place that allows smoking. People say they care about smoke free business yet they don't practice that when it comes down to it.

Now I am sure you will try to tell me that they don't have a choice well the is not true. There are many restaunts were smoke free before our council passed the ordince. Many of those business did not and have not seen a increase in business all you have to do it talk to the mangers or owners of them. Some have seen an increase and others saw a decrease in there business. Sence the ordince was passed in Duluth a number of business have closed and said it was do to the smoking ban.


I also know that many of the bowling allyes are in trouble in Duluth. There is one of four in Duluth has over come it and has full leagues. One is about 3/4th full on leagues and the other two or not even half full.


Here again you will tell me that bowling is on a decline and natinaly it is, however Duluth has been on an increase for many years with it's bowling leagues.

You will ask how I know this well here is how. I am an advite bowler and have ran a couple of leagues and seen these decrease and seen the increase at one bowling alley.

You also ask why bowlers aren't coming back and it is because they can't smoke well bowilng.


John

Dulusion said...

Tell me who the "number of business have closed and said it was do to the smoking ban."...I'd like to know. I know for a FACT that several businesses, Perkins, Embers, Pickwick, and Western Cafe have all said that they would never ever go back to allow smoking even if the ordinance was dropped. So...can you match that? I know that Jim's on 4th did not close because of the ban, as I have a personal friend who worked their for years up to the closing and she says it was definitly NOT because of the ban. Also, 21st street delight...still open under new management. Word is that the owner who claimed it was because of the ban, was merely a poor businessperson who was struggling long before the ordinance. Duluth Grill...come on...Embers is running a fine business in the same location. Round up is still open, who closed?