News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tourist and citizens don't want to pay more to eat.

This was a great letter in today's papers.

What the yes group needs to realize is for every person you say this will attracted it will also keep as many people away. Tourist or citizens just don't want to pay more when they go out to eat.

The writer also points out that this is just another strike against Duluth and when you combine them there is no reason to come here.


Tax for DECC will help Brainerd and Bemidji
I live in the Grand Rapids-Deer River area and we used to have several occasions to visit Duluth for business, shopping and recreation during the year. Now with the smoking ban in place and the proposed .75 percent increase in food and beverage tax, I have decided that if I desire a "Big City" experience I will go to Bemidji, Brainerd or St. Cloud. It appears that they still want people to come to their city to shop or spend recreational time.
While I do not live in the Duluth area, I do vote with my expenditure of disposable income. I can sympathize with the numerous business owners who will not be able to receive the benefits from my disposable income. I feel that it is best left to a business owner to decide how they want to operate their business.
Regarding the additional sales tax to support the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center: I feel that rather than increasing the sales tax city-wide, the city should look at increasing the taxes on admissions and services supplied within the facility or adding a surcharge on admissions.
See you in Bemidji or Brainerd.
DEAN DAVIS DEER RIVER

Source: Duluth news tribune,http://duluthnews.com

No comments: