News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tracy Lundeen speaks out about the DECC expansion.

Here is an email for Tracy Lundeen, he is a local business man that is for the DECC expansion. I asked Tracy to write some infavor of the DECC expansion. He took my over unlike Steve O'Niel when I asked if he would like to write something about his smoking ban for the county.

Tracy and I have known eachother for a few years now and I have nothing but respect for him. He is always willing to share his thoughts and be very forth coming with them.

Here is his email.


"If the expansion passes it will be good for Duluth. If it doesn't....oh well, the no votes will have it their way and we'll see what happens. One thing I will say for myself is that I'm not afraid to state my opinions with my own identity. I have a lot to lose by being outspoken but it has never stopped me. I've never hidden my opinions on anything involving area politics or business. Anyone can hide in bushes or hide behind false identities on this blog and take pot shots at me or the DECC or on anything else for that matter. If you don't dare use your identity for fear of something then perhaps you should keep your opinions to yourself. Much of the blither on this blog isn't even substantiated. When I speak I try to speak based on FACT, REASON, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE and then OPINION. I have had the unique position of being able to look at this issue from many angles. I've been a local bar/restaurant owner, a taxpayer, a critic of two recent mayors, a concert promoter, a special event promoter, a radio talk show host, a competitor of the DECC, a former DECC board member, an occasional consultant to a former mayor, a Duluth business owner for 32 years and a few other hats along the way. Having done all this, I have never been accepted by the Chamber or the rich and powerful in Duluth as one of the good old boys network that I hear people blog on this site so much about and with such resentment. The events I've created and staged in this town have by Convention Visitor stats over the years conservatively generated over $100 million dollars in economic impact to the tourism industy....primarily bars, restaurants and motels. Calculate the tourism tax on that. I didn't rack up the 280 million dollar unfunded liability for employee health care, I didn't bring NW Airlines to town with their maintenence facility and I DID NOT support the building of the Aquarium. I refuse however to link some of Duluth's failures, black marks or misfortunes to the DECC. The DECC is one of Duluth brightest spots. Duluth's tourism industry is what has saved this town from complete oblivion since the 80's. Using the referendum on the DECC to make a statement about Duluths problems or failures is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Vote yes, vote no. But vote with accurate information."


What are your thoughts on what Tracy had to say?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tracy, We understand that the DECC expansion would benifit your promotions business. This is why one reason you are for the project. You have also said many time in public that they DECC needs more room as they don't have enought space for the events that want to go there. This is true but should the tax payers have to pay for this in any form?

The fact is we pay so many taxes here. It does not matter what kind of tax you are talking about. It needs to stop some were.

We agree the DECC is not the problem with Duluth nor have they caused the city any ill effects. That does not mean we have to fork out money for them or any other great group or organizantion that askes for it.


Remember as Duluthians and citizens of Minnesota we pay twice for this project.

Unknown said...

Tracy, You said in your reply to us that we are saying untrue things about the DECC expansion project. We asked you in an email what they were you did not reply. We said if you gave us evidence in what we said was untrue about any part of the expansion project we would correct our selfs yet no reply. There for we must not have any wrong information.