News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Sunday, February 19, 2006

What people are saying.

Here are what some people are saying about the proposed smoking ban in the county. What are you thoughts?


"If they ban smoking in restaurants and not bars, then bars get all the business. The restaurant business is a business of making pennies, and you don't want to turn anyone away."
RICH CHALUPSKY, owner of Sammy's Pizza & Restaurant in Hibbing


"Some of my critics say we should let the state do it, but they're not doing it and it's unfair to workers."
STEVE O'NEIL, the St. Louis County commissioner who is sponsoring the smoking ban ordinance


"It would hurt business big time. About 80 percent of my customers are smokers. I think it should be a personal choice. If people want to go to a smoke-free environment they can go to McDonald's. As the owner, I should be allowed to be the one who decides whether I have smoking in my business or not."
MIKE WEDIN, owner of the Wooden Table Inn, a restaurant and bar in Britt


"I know there's a big concern in the state and county about health-care costs. We as taxpayers are paying $7 in subsidies (for smoke-related health problems) on each pack of cigarettes. It's 2006 -- let's lead again."
PAT MCKONE, senior director for Tobacco Control Programs of the American Lung Association of Minnesota


"The county already has it where you have to have a nonsmoking area. It's 15 below out there this morning -- am I supposed to send people outside if they want to smoke?"
STEVE SWANSTROM, owner of the Island Lake Inn



"I personally would like to give it a shot at doing it statewide, but if something comes before me that will eliminate people being exposed to secondhand smoke, I would support it."
MIKE FORSMAN, a St. Louis County commissioner from Ely

Source: Duluth News Tribune,http://duluthnews.com.

I will have more on this again later today.



No comments: