News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

It's election day coverage.

I will have much more either later tonight or tomorrow but now the wife needs the computer.

10pm: Some reaction to the results. Jeff Anderson ( current councilor). Said he was a bit shocked at the results. He thought Beth Olson would have came out on top. That Olson and Hartman both would have won a seat. He said he was pleased with Hartman getting elected and the he worked very hard for a full year.

Hartman was thrilled and all he could say was awesome. He had worked hard for a year to get the spot.

Beth Olson did not bother to show to party.

Stauber was delighted he won a fourth term. He is looking forward to continuing his projects and move Duluth Forward.


9:50pm: Just returned home for being out at campaign parties. I did not want to take the computer in case I left it some where. knowing me I would have.

Three out of four people I voted for won tonight. That is the best in a long time for me. I am okay with the results. Well I would have hoped that Grant would have won I did think it would be tought for him to do so. It was much closer then most thought.

Stauber and Hartman are the top two in the the at-large seat. The women are left out. Well it was a very close race between the four.

I must say the two hardest working candidates won in this election. After the primary results Stauber and his crew worked hard to come in either first or second. They where not going to be denied. I think Olson was a bit lacking her attempt to derail criticism of her. Hartman worked hard all year long.

The Boyle Wagner race not much to say other then I told you so.

6pm: Polls close in two hours. If you have not got out and voted yet do so. The numbers in most polling places have really shot up. It seems we will have a good turn out. That is not much of a surprise for Duluth.

5pm: The sign waving is fast and furious.

Just a note if you don't see any updates at any point today it is because I am and about at party's. I will still have updates for a while. If I do go out tonight check back for updates later.

3:42pm: Setting up interviews for tonight.

3:02pm: I have noticed some sign waving has started again at busy street corners. You can expect that to go on till as late as 7 tonight. This election is very important.

The numbers are on the increase at the polls. This is a good thing. It means for more interesting races. I think a higher turn out could mean different results then some are thinking. As I said before however only time will tell.

1:01pm: The lunch rush should be over for the most party now. I checked out four polling places. Three of them where busy and one was dead only about four people there. I think the voter turn out will be just fine. A slow start but I expect a good rush after work.

Reports I have heard from my sources also report that voting is starting to pick up. Thanks to all that are giving me updates by phone and here at the blog. It is a huge help.

East Duluth and West Duluth polling places where fairly busy over the lunch hour.

11:50am: Where will you be watching the results come in? Are you going to a candidates party? Where, when and who's?

10:45 am: This is the first of many post coming today. Newest updates will appear at the top. To read older updates scroll down.

At any rate, my sources are telling me that voter turnout is low to this point. The morning rush was not that big. In fact at my polling place I was only voter number 35 at 8am. We normally have any were between 60-75 by that time. It seems to be slow almost every were. I have talked with a number of people and the numbers seem to be about the same.

Now there will be another rush where voting is heavier at lunch time and the again after work. Lets home that people get out and vote.

If it is a lower turn out who does it favor do you think?

15 comments:

CK said...

Low turnout means the winners of the primary come out on top again, and also School Board incumbents win, that's my take.

Unknown said...

Well you may be right about the counil part for a low turn out. I am not sure it is a good thing for the school board members.

Have you voted? Did you see what number voter you where?

I am interested in getting numbers from people as they vote.

I do have a number of people helping me out today with numbers and such but it is always nice to hear from others as well.

A low turn out early but still plenty of time to get out and vote if you have not please do so.

Anonymous said...

Hey John:

It is Scott your West Duluth connection. Just checking in with an update.

Voting has pick-up a little as the day has moved on. Still a bit light but better then this AM.

The lunch rush is just starting I will keep you updated as it goes a long.

Just a quick note a lot of people I have talked out here are voting for Gauthier over Grant.

I think for the 4th district to be close Grant will need to carry alot of the Duluth Hieghts.

Unknown said...

Thanks Scott.

Danny G said...

I was number 312 at noon out here.

And I agree with "C". The lower the turnout, the better chances that the primary winners get in. We'll see though. On today's DDD I endorsed Beth Olson. We'll see if my vast community influence will have any impact (just kidding about my influence, by the way).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Danny 312 at noon is not bad. I have heard turn out that way is picking up.

Unknown said...

I wish I could edit comments. I can't but please if you are going to talk about another post then use the name they have posted with. Do not use any other name I will not allow it from here out.

CK said...

John, I just voted, about 4 people there, and I was #277 to vote in my precinct near UMD, precinct #12. I have a good feeling about this election!

Danny said...

Dude. It's 2009. Get something that allows you to update away from home.

Unknown said...

Yes I know Danny. Some of these places may even have WiFi I don't know. At any rate when I do go out I most likely won't be posting.

CK said...

John, if you go to Carmody, they do have free wi fi.

I was sign waving on 21st & London Rd from 4 pm -5:15 pm. It was a lot of fun, there was a lot of waving and thumbs up and honking. I just love Duluthians, they are so damn friendly. And they care enough to vote.

Tony Ramone said...

I guess it all depends on who turns out. I wonder if the weather might favor the Republicans -- Stauber and Hall, but it won't be enough to matter for Hall. Hall will still finish fourth, but the weather might matter for Stauber. It will be interesting to see the vote difference between Olson and Hartman, because I kind of see them as a team.

This election could be a repudiation of Harry Welty, if the school board incumbents prevail. I like Harry, but he is starting to be somewhat of a gadfly. I think he is the new Davey Jones.

Unknown said...

CK: Thanks for the information. I was there and did not see her. Also a supporter left because they where told that she was not going to come. They left mad.

Sorry I missed you, I would have liked to meet you.

I have edited the post because of your information.

CK said...

Beth Olson has her priorities right, she took her daughter home and put her to bed, then went down to Carmody. It's too bad the supporter left mad, but I would have done the same thing if I were Beth -- and put my daughter first. Like I've said before, she doesn't brag about how important family is to her, she acts it.

Carmody was a party and I am thrilled that Dan Hartman (who busted his butt and well deserves this victory) did so well, as did Kerry Gauthier and my new councilor, Patrick Boyle! Glad he did so well, I would have been mortified if he'd come under 75% of the vote.