News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Creative minds, when picking schools names.

The names have been chosen for the two high schools that will remain in Duluth. What will the names be? The western high school will be called Denfeld and the eastern high school will be called East. Wait just a minute, those are the names of the schools now. Yep, our school board is pretty creative I tell you.

The mascots and team names will also remain the same, Denfeld Hunters and East Greyhounds. I thought with all the great minds on the school board they might have came up with some original names but I guess that was asking too much.

This is because of the red plan which I am not a fan of. The plan eliminates one high school and a number of elementary schools. I would rather us go to one high school and try to leave the grade schools in place. Another option was to consolidate some grade schools. A little of that will be done, I think more of it could have been done.

I would love to see Duluth have three high schools but understand that at this point it is not possible, because of declining enrollment. This is why I am for one high school, minimizing the east / west division in the city, a division the current plan would encourage"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah they sure did come up with creative names this time.

John you are right about the East/West split. This will only make the split worse. I can't believe the board can't see this.

yellowdoggranny said...

hey i think the names are kinda cute..hunters and grayhounds..

Unknown said...

YDG: The only problem is that they are the same as they have always been. We are moving down to two high schools because of a plan by the school board that we did not get to vote on.

The thought was among many people that the two remaining schools should be renamed, not kept what they are today. Well yes there where others in the city that wanted them kept the same.

My issue is if you are going to go in a different direction with the schools per the "red plan" then the schools neeeded to have name changes.

Tony Ramone said...

This decision doesn't surprise me. And, I think it was probably the right decision. East and Denfeld are established brands. I can understand why people would want to rename the schools and create new mascots. However, I think it was correct to keep the names and the tradition.

I actually wanted to see Duluth go to one high school because with two schools one school (East) will be perceived as better than the other (Denfeld). By the way, guess what that one Duluth high school would have been named? Answer: Duluth East.

Unknown said...

Tony at this point I think you can toss any and I mean and Tradion out the window. The school board has already shown it don't care about tradtion at all.

If they did care about it they would have gone to one high school,and named it something different then any of the other three schools that we had to that point.

You are most likely right about the one high school name because our board has shown they have no creativity at all. Also the people out East have the money and power. It's to bad.

I hate the pitting us against them. I am not against East at all (excpet in hockey), I like it East it is a great school. It should however not have any more poll then any other school does.

Danny G said...

Wait. I live out east. I have all the money and the power? News to me.

Anonymous said...

JOhn you are right once again. The people out East have all the power, maily when it comes to school issues.

The people out there are all cake eaters just like those that go to high school out there.