News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

KB's Cornor.

As we said Duluth Politics is going to have some changes. Here is another thing we are adding. KB's cornor. Kb you can change the name if you want to just let us know.

We are very excited that Kb Duluthians has agreed to write for us. We felt it would be nice to have an oppsing view on an number of issues. We have given Kb duluthian the knot to write what ever comes to mind.

Here is Kb's first entry, it is a reply to one of the post made about EBT.


Ok, Here goes,

My opinion of your comment on EBT card use and misuse. My first question is, How do you know that people don't need it? Isn't it possible that they are temporarily using the system due to temporary circumstances? Perhaps one family member is between jobs, or laid off for the season, (myhusband gets laid off every winter, we squeak by but not allfamilies can.) Perhaps there is a family health crisis. Formany reasons a family might find themselves unable to make it through the month.

When I was a kid my family had to go on welfare two years ina row. My father had polio when he was a child and lost all use of his left arm. Regardless of that he beaome the bestdamn one armed mechanic around. Unfortunately he broke his leg and was laid up one winter. The next year his union went on strike and we just could not make it with 4 kids to feed.The amount of shame that my parents felt was incredible. Remember this is a man who could've easily lived on disability. It permeated our entire family. It caused greatstress, because my parents felt such shame to have to take what they saw as a handout. Add to that the fact that we were the only Indian family in the area. Like it or not, people expected us to fail, and picked on us relentlessly because we were the "welfare indians." It pains me to even write this now. We were what you think you see in the line.The "family of color" using food stamps, the dead beats, the losers, whatever people want to assume. Well, I'm here to tell you, in many cases it's an unfair judgement. As for what these people buy with their EBT funds, do you scrutinize everyone's groceries in such a critical way? You might want to think about that. Next time someone comes through the line, assume they are on EBT, are they buying the same stuff? Does the junk food jump out at you like it does the EBT user? Why are EBT users not entitled to give their kids the same stuff other kids get.

Have you ever packed a lunch and two snacks for a kid in today's schools? I do, every day, and my daughter is very very aware of who has what, and who doesn't. That doesn't mean she gets all the junk, it just means that sometimes she does get that little package of cookies in her lunch, or maybe somecheeto's. What I'm saying is that we need to put away ourjudgemental stereotypes, not assume that we know these folks don't need it. Take note of the mom that comes through the line with good nutritional foods for her family, and if she pulls out the EBT card, feel good knowing that many if not most, are using it for what it's intended. We need to feed those kids, and we don't need to make families feel so much shame for needing help once and awhile.

Don't lump everyone into the same basket. Examine your predjudice and open your eyes to other perceptions. Thank you for the forum! KB Duluthian

There are statistics on who gets EBT and even how many mightbe "abusing" it. From my understanding abuse is not as highas it might seem to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think that I made any comment about color of skin in my comments.

Do I agree that people have things that happen to that make them need help YES. This is why I tried to lay out that I was talking about those that don't work becuase they are above working at burger King.

If you don't have job, you are not above working anywere. I don't care if you have a degree to be a doctor.

Now remember I said I know these people in one way or another. Most I know in a way that I know of the way they live.

You also asked if I look at the people that buy junk food with there own money the same way. Yes I do, I think my god why would you do that. Now yes I buy some junk food but not $30.00 worth. So yes I do think of the same think as if they used EBT. With that being said at least they are speding there own money and not mine or your yours.

Now I have to say there are people that in my mind use the system right by buying groccies, ie- Meat, fruit, milk, vegies, and yes even some junk food.

Were can some one get these nimbers about EBT use? I would love to take a look at them.

John