News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Monday, March 20, 2006

Sled Dogs racing.

This was in the Duluth news trib today as an opion.

Give me a break, these dogs are treated better then most humans are. Yes a dog gets hurt here and there but that happens in all sports.

The mushers owners of these dogs care so much about there dogs, the on site doctors at the stops are the best in the world.


Iditarod sled dogs lead cruel lives
I have information to add to the March 15 commentary about the cruelties associated with the Iditarod sled dog race ("The Iditarod hurts dogs, so why use it to teach?").
Last year, I took a cruise to Alaska. On one of the side trips I was horrified to see hundreds of dogs tied to barrels with 6-foot chains. Our tour group was nonchalantly told the dogs were "in training" for the Iditarod. It was presented as something of which tourists would approve. Everyone around me was aghast and shocked. Who knew?
Promotions for the race make it seem like the dogs are living the life of Riley. But I believe they are treated like nothing more than equipment. I believe they're warehoused like garbage, never knowing a kind word or a gentle hand.
I appreciated the informative column, especially because not everyone will see what I saw with my own eyes.
JAYNE MORRIS LARGO, FLA.

No comments: