News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The state of radio in Duluth.

Okay most know that I have worked in radio. Some may not know that I am just coing off another round of work. I am no longer working in radio at this time so I thought I would exprece my thoughts on radio here in Duluth.


First lets go with some of the Midwest stations:

KDAL, Most know that I have not liked the changes they have made. I would much rather listen to Kerry Rod then Mark Flisher. Mark is a horible radio personal. I am not happy with other changes they have made either. The only think they have going for them is Brad Bennette. I don't mind going younger, however you need the big name people on that station as it is the bread and butter of Midwest.

The have a couple joke of shows as well, noon-2 weekday the Rhonda Grousndorff show is a complete joke and so is Ray comes live, both very bad shows.

They do have some other good shows, I like the fishing and outdoor frenzie, and some other but all around they have seen a major decrease in talent.

Grade- D

Kat Country- I don't listen to a lot. Here again some poor choices made. I listend to them when Johnny Lee was on. I love Johnny, he is a good radio person. They moved him to KDAL now, I have not listend to the morning show on either station sence the move. The midday person is a capital B and not that easy to listen to.

Grade- D

WDSM- Has a good mix of talk and local sports , however the local sports they may lose. I love a lot of there talk shows that are from the bird. Lew Latto is still well Lew. I don't list to him much as I find his whinning and complaing to be out of this world and hard to handle.

Grade- B

Midwest has a number of stations on the range and one more in Duluth. Over all grade C.

Clear Channel Duluth

B105 is an great country station, they have lost some great talents much like KDAL, most however have just left. B105 plays a great mix of todays music and older country.

The air talent is better then KTCO by a long shot.

Grade A

Mix 108, this station has had a lot of changes early but now seems to have found it's grove. They talent is very good maybe one of the best in the northland. They play a good mix of music. They have some good shows on durning the weekend they don't just toss on crap.

Grade C

Kool 101.7 I am disspointed that this station changed from 50-60's to mostly 70's and newer music. The air talent here again is good. The Rayman they main stay is great. Scott in the mornning is also good I enjoy listening to him. Steve is a very knowlable person in all music and a good fit for KOOL.

Grade C

The Fan WEBC

I did not like the change at first, however I am liking it more and more as I listen. They do a great job with local sports, Racing, Huskies, and local high school sports. Also the fan network is worth listening too. I wish they could get a better nat. sports then fox but you can't always have it all.


It looks like this is going to be your sports station of the norhtland. They are even reporting to have picked up grandma's marthon. This station with the fan network also has a good mix of sports and politics, with there shows.

Grade A

Over all grade B

4 comments:

Chris Correia said...

Slow news day, huh? LOL

Coming up next: a ctitique of Duluth City Councilors' haircuts and shoes. LMAO

Just teasing! :)

Dulusion said...

I used to listen to KUMD at work, but I got bored with their format of running "World Cafe" twice in a row every afternoon. They also seem a bit heavy on the blues. I now listen to Wisconsin Public Radio and love the variety of programming, it's talking shows, but not just politics. I've never been into mainstream commercial radio..for that very reason; commercials.

Unknown said...

Chris,

I know you are joking. We don't always try to be political here most of the time we are. We do however some time like to take a little liter aprouch.

Councilors hair you say good idea lol. However also with the issue we hope some will chim in and saw what they think of radio in Duluth.

Unknown said...

KB,

I listen everyonce in a while to KUWS they have some good shows. I also listen to KUMD, you are right the music is a lot of blues. Some times I am in the mood to listen to them however.

As far as commercial radio, well everyone has what they like. Commercials don't bother me. In fact if it is on a show that I like either talk or a music show or personanity that I enjoy listening to then I will go to that place.