News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My first email to Mayor Don Ness.

This email was sent in part because of Dave's email. You can find that email in the comments of my State of the City address blog.


Hi, Mayor Ness


I am sure you say the quote in the paper, that I made. I don't know if you looked at the blog as of yet. Here is what I wrote.


State of the City speech.
Fist I need to say this. I consider Mayor Ness to be a great friend. We may not always in fact offend agree on politics but that is okay. Politics should never stand in the way of a friendship in my eyes.The Mayor and I grew up right next door to each other. We played all the time, we shared great times and I think we still do and can. When we talked tonight we expressed how we have always been very pleasant with each other. He also expressed how sometimes when I write he does not think it is always nice. I am always willing to listen if anyone including Mayor Ness wants to know why I said something the way I did just ask. Emailing is the best way to get a hold of me duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com .There is only two people that are not allowed two post. I think they know who they are. This is because of the they conducted them self's.Now onto what this is suppose to be about the speech from tonight. I thought it was a very good speech. The intend of the speech was to energize the city and the people in the room. It delivered in an up lifting way. To me the the speech was much like a coach giving a big pep-talk to his team.I think the intend was of the speech was very successful. After the speech was over I talked to many people and they had nothing but good things to say. At least most people did.The content that was good for his political view. If you agree with his vision or not at this point does not matter. It was very much along the lines he wants to move this city.If I was to grade the speech I would give it a B.Next I will get into what was said and if I like that as much as the deliver of the speech.


I also received an email from Dave, you did as well. Using the coach and teacher was not meant to be demeaning to anyone. Nor should it have been taken that way. I will be replying to Dave later. I thought this post better showed what I meant by what I said in the paper. Being in the media I understand that you can only print small portions for a news story. The DNT I thought did a great job of covering the State of the City from all angles.

As we talked on Monday night we don't agree politically all that much. I think and hope however that you and I along with the whole city can come together and work as a team. I believe as you that is what is needed.

I think we can start to work together on the things we do agree on, those off the top of my head are keeping young people here and our parks and rec department. I hope that I can work with you in some way to make these issues and many others better. If you have any groups I would love to take part in them.

Sincerely,

John Rathe

2 comments:

Dave said...

Thank you for your response to my email. I would agree that, in part, your comments in th DNT were taken out of context. It was there that I first saw them, hence the email as well as the post. I do feel that your post did still make it sound as though it was a bad thing that Mayor Ness was acting as a teacher/coach. As I said in both email and blog, the people of Duluth need to be rejuvenated and motivated. Teachers and coaches can be tremendous motivators and leaders and I feel it should be applauded that Mayor Ness chose to approach his first speech as a motivator, it shows the exuberance in leadership we are desperate for.

I did like your comments at the end of this post where you say that you are willing to work on the things with Mayor Ness that you do agree with him on, that is a good start, hopefully others who may not see things the same way as Mayor Ness will try to put aside their own agendas and roll up their sleeves and work to make Duluth, once again, a vibrant and flourishing city. Cynics be damned!

Unknown said...

Dave I sure did not mean anything by the comment. I guess I was making an oberservation. That at times he sounded like a teacher or a coach. It was not meant in a bad way.

I understand that coaches and teachers are very importain. Having been invovled in youth sports both as a player, coach, and umpire I understand how importian these roles are. I also said right of the bat that I thought Mayor Ness was triing to energize the city. I feel as in a whole he did that in this speech.

I agree that Duluth needs to be rejuvenated can Don do it? Only time will tell.