News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Thursday, December 29, 2005

DECC wants to increase food and beverage tax for it's expansion.

Let me start by saying that I am for improving the outdated Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, however I hope people do not vote in the tax increase.

The DECC is asking that there be an increase to the food and beverage sales tax of .75% this increase may not seem like a lot. The fact is that this would be yet another tax or in this case an increase of an exciting one.


This increase would come about by a special election it appears. The Duluth city council will hold a special meeting next Tuesday the meeting the council will work out the wording of the way the referendum will read.

If this tax increase was approved on a $25.00 bill at your farviot restaurant your taxes would then be $2.44, now I am sure this will not break anyone's bank but I feel as we are paying enough when we go out to eat on extra taxes. If approved our food and beverage tax would be among one to the highest at 9.75%.


The special election would be help February 28th.

I would ask that everyone votes NO in the special election.

2 comments:

A guy from West Duluth said...

DNH, I disagree with you on this one. I think it will be good for the city if the DECC gets it's expansion. The Convention Center is one of the few city projects that has actually paid off. The expansion will allow larger conventions to be held here. In addition the Arena does need the renovation.

I'm not sure the restaurant tax is the best way to pay for it, I'd prefer a Canal Park/Downtown food and beverage tax along with some other funding mechanism, but I don't think the proposal is bad. I'm ambivalent on the increase.

Unknown said...

Erik as I said before, I thnk the DECC needs the renovation but I don't believe the increase in the fodd and beverage is the way to go.

If the DECC wants to do renobation let them. It should however be done with there own money. The DECC should be been ran like a private business would be. If K-mart wants to built a bigger store they would have to find the money in there budgett and I believe the this is what we need to start doing with our city ran orginzeations.

The other thing I don't understand is people say (not just you) why not do a canal park food and beverage tax. Here is the thing people need to relieze that we the citizens go there as well. This thinking that the rourist will pay that and not us is insane we all go downtown and to the canel and eat.

I just at this point would like the city to find a better way to fund this project.