News tips.

Email: duluthneedshelp@yahoo.com

Friday, December 16, 2005

Mayor speech

Here is the mayors lies in his speech. I can't believe this guys believes a word he said. He starts with a lie right away by saying he only had 4 and half drinks come on Mayor Bergson. From that point you can't believe a word he says about it.

Why couldn't he just come out and tell us the truth from the beginning to end of his whole day?


"MY MESS"
Bergson left work at 2:30 p.m. Friday, he said. Contrary to reports, he did not attend a retirement party at City Hall in the afternoon before his crash and arrest.
He drank at a private residence before leaving for Eau Claire, Wis., en route to a conference in Chicago. He declined to identify whose residence, its location or the nature of the relationship.
"This is my mess," Bergson said. "We're not going to drag anyone else into it. It's not germane to the charge."
At the residence, he consumed 2 beers and two drinks of vodka and grapefruit juice, he said. He did not mix the drinks himself.
"I felt like I could drive," Bergson said. "But that's a mistake many people who drink make when they drive. They get the feeling they're capable, and they're not."
"I knew I had too much to drink when I drove," he said later while answering a question about not wanting to speak to police without his lawyer.
The mayor said he did not consume any alcohol in his car after he left the residence. Nor did he make any stops before his accident, he said.
"I was driving and suddenly the car was spinning," Bergson said. "That's all I can tell you. And then the car was stopped.... I can tell you that the car spun out of control."
Police reports said road conditions were good and relatively dry.
Bergson struck the windshield and steering wheel of his 2002 Mercury with his head and upper body. He assumes he was knocked unconscious. When he got out of his vehicle, he saw people around, he said, and could hear sirens and the sound of his car's engine revving.
"DON'T REMEMBER EVERYTHING"
Bergson disputed police reports that he was uncooperative, resisted medical help and wanted to leave the scene.
"My head hit the windshield at 65 mph. I didn't know I was bleeding. I didn't know I was hurt. I wouldn't call it uncooperative," he said. "As far as not answering questions at the jail... you should have a lawyer present. Anyone should, guilty or innocent."
He said he doesn't recall asking passing motorists not to call authorities, as police reports indicated.
"I still don't remember everything. My doctor tells me I probably won't," Bergson said. "I don't know who would have said I was trying to leave the scene. I'm not going to say it wasn't right because I can't remember. But that car wasn't going anywhere."
Bergson questioned a report by a state trooper that he probably wasn't wearing his seat belt. He's a regular seat belt-user, he said.
"The air bag didn't work and I assume the seat belt didn't work," he said.
The mayor said he has no memory of being led to an ambulance or of riding in the ambulance to the hospital in Spooner. He recalls some of his examination at the hospital, he said, and most of his arrest at the Washburn County Jail.
He consented to a blood test, he said. Police reports indicated the blood test had to be administered against his wishes at the order of the Washburn County district attorney.
"I remember feeling very humiliated, very ashamed and stripped of my dignity," Bergson said of his arrest. "I can't explain it all. It was a bad choice."
"FELT LIKE AN IDIOT"
Several hours after police released Bergson to his wife, he typed an e-mail to inform acquaintances, reporters and others about what had happened.
"I felt like an idiot," he said when asked why he contacted the media. "I betrayed family and friends and supporters. I needed them to know I was going to be upfront."
Bergson left three days before the conference in Chicago because he wanted to "get away," he said. His intent was to find a hotel room in Eau Claire on Friday night and then arrive in Chicago by Saturday evening. He planned to pay out of his own pocket for the rooms and other expenses.
"Sometimes it's good to get away," Bergson said. "Sometimes it's good to have an evening when the phone doesn't ring and when you don't have a meeting to go to.
"This job, you live in a fishbowl. Anything you do is scrutinized," he said. "I'm not going to blame what happened on Friday on stress. Stress did not turn the key. Stress didn't decide to go to Eau Claire instead of staying in town. Herb did, and Herb is sorry.
"Being tired (also) may have played a factor. But being tired didn't turn the key" either, he said.

No comments: